Physics of Rowing
- 22Apr18 Irish (Gaelic) translation
- 7Mar18 French translation
- 10Feb18 Ukrainian translation of this page
- 03Jan18 Bulgarian translation of this page
- 18Dec17 Hindi translation of this page
- 17Dec17 Greek translation of this page
- 13Dec17 Italian translation of this page
- 9Dec17 Albanian translation of this page
- 7Aug17 Malay translation of Stream/Depth
- 29Jul17 Slovakian translations
- 28Jul17 Japanese translation of this page
- 20Jul17 Tamil translation of this page
- 10Jul17 Hungarian translation of Stream/Depth
This site contains a series of pages covering the basic Physics of Rowing
and, below, some frequently asked questions related together with
links to where answers can be found.
... of some or all of these pages
(If you make a translation of these web-pages,
send me the link and I'll add it here, but remember to update the internal
links so that they either point to your translated pages or back to my
- Albanian (Andrew
McMason) (this page only)
(Martha Ruszkowski) (this page only)
(this page only)
Stream (Mille Eriksen)
Web Geek Science)
(this page only)
(by emfurn.ca) (this page only)
(Aleksandr Kastromin) (this page only), alternatively
(Lukas Schmidt) (this page only)
(this page, Krist Bega)
(this page, Nikol, Dealsdaddy)
(this page, Zsolt Boros)
www.chameleonjohn.com) (this page only)
(this page, www.dllfilesfixer.org/)
(this page, Steampunk Artifacts)
(Haruto Anami) (this page only)
- Malay (from
Down To Five)
- Romanian (Iryna Vasilescu)
(Translator Group) (this page only)
- Slovakian (Katarina Hornik)
- Spanish (Alfonso Garcia, Coupon Goo)
(Sathya, www.vikatan.com) (this page only)
) (this page only)
None of the following information is copyright, so feel free to reproduce
any or all of it, credited or uncredited as you see fit (although I might be a
bit miffed if anyone else tried to pass it off as their own work).
- Why does the blade have to slip in the water?
(when it doesn't if you push off a solid object?)
- What causes a boat to slow down?
- Why don't you go twice as fast if you pull twice as hard?
- Kinetic Energy
- Why are 'cleavers' a good idea ?
(when you can get the same impulse from smaller blades?)
- Centre of Mass
- Why do boats continue to accelerate (and move quickest)
after the end of the stroke?
- Speed Variation
- Why is it more efficient to row a piece with constant split-times?
- Why is it more efficient to keep the hull speed as uniform as
possible during the stroke?
- Why were 'sliding rigger' boats banned?
- Why do/don't boats balance?
- Why is it easier to balance a moving boat?
- What type of lever is an oar?
- Why does the boat move forwards although I'm pushing it backwards
with my feet?
- What is meant by the gearing of an oar?
- Why is gearing expressed in terms of the span (or spread)
rather than the inboard?
- Why is changing the span 1cm supposed to be 3 times as effective
as moving the button the same distance?
- What are CLAMS and why are they used?
- Why are cleavers shorter than the equivalent Macon oars?
- Newton's Laws of Motion
- How do erg scores/boat speed depend on bodyweight?
- Relationship between Power and Weight
- Why and how do Aerobic and Anaerobic
power depend on weight?
- Power/Weight Ratios
- How do Power/Weight ratios depend on weight?
- Relationship between Weight and Erg Speed
- Why do heavier rowers have an advantage on Erg scores
- Where does the 2/9 (or 0.222) exponent in erg-conversion scores
- Relationship between Weight and Boat Speed
- Why are heavier rowers faster than lighter rowers?
- Why is this difference less obvious over long distances?
- Speeds of different Boat Classes
- Why are boats with more rowers faster?
- How much faster are they?
- How fast should an octuple scull be?
- Effect of deadweight
- What is the effect of deadweight on boat speed?
- How much does the weight of the cox affect the boat speed?
- Relationship between Erg Score and
- How do you convert erg-scores of rowers
of different weights into equivalent boat speed?
- If I lose weight, how much faster would I scull?
- If I lose weight, how much should my erg score be allowed to drop in
order to maintain the same boat speed?
- Effect of Boat Weight on Boat Speed
- Is a "lighter" boat necessarily a "faster" boat?
- Which feels 'heavier': rowing upstream or downstream?
- What is viscosity?
- Why is viscous drag said to be proportional to velocity?
- Boat Resistance
- Why does boat resistance vary as velocity-squared? (when viscous
drag is usually said to be proportional to velocity)
- River Flow
- Why does a river flow quickest where it is deepest?
- Upstream/Downstream Resistance
- Why does rowing upstream feel 'lighter' than rowing downstream?
- Shallow Water Resistance
- Why does rowing in shallow water feel heavier than deep water?
- How shallow does water have to be before you notice?
- Upstream/Downstream times
- Why is the average time for upstream + downstream pieces slower
when the stream is faster? (when you'd expect the stream effect to cancel)
- What are the different types of Ergometers?
- Where can I find more information about each type of Ergometer?
- Mechanics of Rotating Bodies
- How do Newton's Laws apply to rotating bodies ?
- Power Dissipation
- Why/how do ergometers lose speed ?
- Power Supplied
- How does power supplied turn into rotation speed?
- How does power relate to the flywheel speed ?
- Changing the Cog
- What is the effect of changing the cog (sprocket) size?
- Changing the Damping
- What is the effect of changing the damper setting ?
- Measuring the Damping
- How does the ergometer 'know' what damper setting is used ?
- What other effects are/are not allowed for by the ergometer ?
- Measuring the Power Supplied
- How does the ergometer calculate the indicated 'Power' ?
- Indicated Speed (Splits) and Distance
- How does the ergometer calculated the speed and distance ?
- Indicated Power v. Indicated Speed (Splits)
- What is the relationship between indicated Power and Speed?
- Power v. Indicated Calories
- What is the "Calories" output on the monitor ?
- What is the relationship between indicated Power and Calories?
- Dynamic v. Static Ergs
- What is the difference between moving and stationary ergs?
- Why are 'dynamic' ergs better boat simulators
- Why do you get higher scores using the Concept 'slide'
- Effect of Rating
- How does rating affect the power required ?
- Why do people erg at lower rates than they row/scull?
- Effect of Altitude
- What is the effect of altitude on erg scores?
- Glossary of terms used in
- What are the various terms used in studying rotational systems?
Bibliography and References
- Concept II
- Durham Boat Company
- Federation Internationale des Societes
of Racing Rowing Boats (Steve Kerr, document now hosted locally)
- Hydrodynamics Articles
Weight/Sex/Age Adjusted Ergo Ladder
- Rowing Physiology and
Performance (Stephen Seiler)
- Physics of Sport
(Tom Steiger, originally from Ken Young)
- Simulation of Rowing
(Marinus van Holst)
- Rowing FAQ
Rowing Bibliography (Florian Caspari)
- Physics of Rowing [PDF file] by Chris Pulman,
University of Cambridge.
Rigger Design (Virginia Tech)
on Sliding Riggers (from Hear the
The following people have also
contributed to the content of these web-pages:
Marinus van Holst,
Dick Nixon, Hans Lohse, Jon Williams.
Anu Dudhia (email@example.com)